Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Stumble upon StumbledUpon!

Ok so it’s no longer a secret. People are starting to find out about the next big step in social media StumbledUpon is like a big social media slot machine. It is a discovery engine that lets its users (stumblers) find things across the web according to their interests and preferences. SU is not considered a search engine because when you use them to search, you are not looking for a particular subject rather any information the site can find about your topic. I find this way of searching actually fun because you are not scrolling through numerous pages hoping to find information you can use.



The SU community relies on ratings, the more “hits” a site gets, the better the rating it gets the site. Information that gets a lot of thumbs-up and high ratings will be shown to lots of Stumblers.Content that either doesn’t get voted for or receives thumb-downs will be shown to fewer Stumblers. The profile of the users that either thumb content up or down also effects how well the submission does. Newly submitted content passes through the “classification engine” before it is entered into the system. I feel that this is my absolutely favorite way to search about my favorite topics. I also use this site when I am doing research, and trying to get ideas for speeches.

2 comments:

  1. Anjelica,

    I have been thinking of an idea that is similar to StumbledUpon. This is an amazing search engine, especially for someone who is doing general research on something, or just generally trying to learn everything about something.
    I love using Google, but I sometimes feel like Google can be too refined for what I'm looking for. StumbledUpon can offer me great research material for a couple of things I will be searching for.
    StumbledUpon can also be used for stumbling across new things. For example, if I am looking for vegetarian lifestyle information, I may stumble upon paskaterianism, but with Google, I would only find information on vegetarianism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anjelica,

    StumbleUpon looks like a very interesting site. It seems very helpful to “stumble” up on information, photos and videos that are related to what you are searching for. I think that it’s cool that the site learns what you like and that it also gives you recommendations from things that your friend’s from different social media sites have liked. It seems as though this site tries to get to know the individual better. I wouldn’t be surprised if StumbleUpon is the next “big thing” to hit the web. Maybe I was pushing it a little to say it might be the next “big thing” because a lot of times sites say that they are one way and once you start using them they are just like all the other sites on the web. I can only hope that this site lives up to my expectation or all the hype that’s on the video that you have posted for us to view. So, I guess the only way to find out how reliable the site really is, is to go check it out for myself. I can only hope that this site will be a little more helpful than the other sites I have visited in the past.

    ReplyDelete