Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Have we become too dependent on Social Media?


Shhhhh… I have a secret to tell you…


I do not have a Twitter account. *_*

Ok. Yes I’m that girl, You know the one who looks at you with the blank stare when you being talking about “TT” or “follow Fridays”, The one girl wh

o is looking at her text crazy after her friend sends her a #FAIL….



Twitter has become one of the most utilized pieces of social media today. Allowing you to “tweet” updates right from your phone to your followers. It’s a vital tool if you need to spread a message fast directed to a specific group of people. You can also keep a level of anonymity that other sites such as Myspace and Facebook lack.

In the days when blogs were an essential way to express personal opinions, you can now do it in a mere 160 words.

As a P.R. Professional I can see the value in this particular medium, Companies can reach their targeted audiences directly, and can also garner valuable feedback directly.

I feel that today’s technological advances have brought about a global uniformity that wasn’t there before; you can SKPE your cousin in Brazil, or IM a friend in Greece all with the click of a button.

In my opinion it is also causing a rift between actual human connection.

Countless times I’ve logged onto Facebook to be greeted with someone’s personal business that they decided would be beneficial to share. I’ve witnesses breakups, fights, disappointments **sips tea** and more drama than a Soap Opera right at my computer desk than in person. People have become so enthralled with their social media life that they forget that everyone that “follows” you or has become your “friend” may not have the best intentions in mind, and they give them a gateway to their personal business.







I am not trying to stand on a soap box here because unfortunately I was the main person freshman and sophomore year updating their status every 20 mins. Venting to my hundreds of "friends" and entertaining their comments. This all changed when a girl I didn't know from a can of blue lead paint approached me and quoted what I said directly on one of my status updates, and asked me if I was single. This small inquiry made me take a step back and analyze who I was letting into my life...and if they should be there.

My question for you is do you believe that society today has developed a dependency on social media? And if it has is it too late to change it?

No comments:

Post a Comment